Wednesday, July 16, 2014

School time!

Since we are now in mid July I have been scouring the Internet for a plan for this years school year. Last year was a flop. We quit midway through. I think it was easy for me to make the excuse that she was just 2. Which is fine, and I'm not losing sleep over it. However now we are on to age 3. Most of her friends...well all actually...are either going back to or starting preschool. Since Adam and I are both pretty much set on homeschooling I'll be getting serious about home school preschool.

I need to crack down and get stuff done, because if we can't get into the swing of things and follow a plan than she just needs to start school when the time comes. So it's not that I'm set that she learns a certain amount of thing in a certain amount of time, but more so that I need to know we can do this.

Now that we know we are staying here we will be making some changes in our home. We are switching rooms so the girls will have a bigger one. Their toys will go in their room, we will get rid of the extra bed, and take that old desk down to the basement. So what started as a classroom and then turned to a playroom will be a designated class. Clutter free. I am so excited!

I've been looking into the best curriculum fit for us, and have pretty much decided on several different ones for different subjects. Here is what I have so far for the upcoming year.

Math


Numbers Plus from High Scope I was really looking for a math curriculum that covered all the bases and could be used for the next year as well. I found several workbooks, but I was looking for something more along the lines of a strictly math curriculum. 


Math Kit I will also be getting the High Scope math kit. I really just wanted something that was already put together. Some of these items we may not get to till age 4, but we will already have them. I've looked at several kits and don't see much "fluff" in this one. Basically we could use all the stuff in this kit.


Literacy 




All About Reading  pre-reading kit. I've seen this used on many home school blogs I follow. It seems like a great start for Molly since we haven't touched much on letters at all. 




Critical Thinking 

Building Thinking Skills  I love this book based off the sample images! Knowing Molly and how she seems to learn best it looks like it will be effective with her. 

I have also purchased some worksheet books from Mama's Learning Corner

Everything else we do will be more along the lines of activities. Colors, shapes, writing, etc we will do through worksheets and play. 


The good thing is we will only have to buy this stuff once! 







No comments:

Post a Comment