Monday, February 18, 2013

Reassessing Routines (dealing with terrible twos)

The past several days have made me take a step back and reassess my opinions on routines. Since M was a newborn I've rejected the idea of having a set schedule. I still do believe that newborns and babies do not need a routine. Natalie can eat and sleep whenever she desires just like I did with Molly. She's not on my time. I'm on hers. So I don't regret not having anything in place up until this point.

However this past week has brought on what people refer to as the "terrible twos." I hate to say terrible. For the most part M is a little sweetie. Then all of a sudden an urge rushes over her and she throws the remote across the room. Or she runs whenever she sees a coat or shoe. Then she might rip her diaper of fifty times. Small things. Not terrible, but most definitely testing her boundaries.

This step back didn't happen because of her actions, but because of mine. You know those times when you repeat back in your mind what just came out of your mouth. Yeah, that happened. I was disgusted and disappointed in myself. It was too loud and just wrong. If I would punch someone in the face for speaking to her like that than why am I? Why is my voice this loud? Why did I just tell her she's bad?

My poor reactions got me to thinking about what was getting us to this point. What was our day like? What just happened? What is my mood? Is she tired? Is she hungry? This method of thinking is something I'm glad I was taught through working at Head Start. Don't look too much at the behavior, but more at what led up to it. That is how you correct it.

A pretty clear pattern emerged. How much did we play that day. Was I on the floor with her a lot. Did we have things to keep us busy. How much interaction had we had that day. The days that were worse which led me to poorly react to her. This is when I decided that at this point in her life a routine would benefit us both. It would above all things hold me accountable to get that time in. It would keep her busy. Now granted these times are a lose outline of what I want our day to be. With a nursing infant my best would be to nurse during whatever we are doing. That may not always happen.


THE DAY TO DAY

9  BREAKFAST @ TABLE                                  

9:15   DISHES & COUNTERS                              

10:00 BUBBLE GUPPIES                                  

10:30 ART                                                        

11  LUNCH @ TABLE                                          

11:30  PUZZLES/GAMES                                                                                   

12 FREE PLAY

12:30 BOOKS

1  NAP TIME

2:30 SPECIAL PROJECTS

3 FREE PLAY

4 BOOKS

4:20 MUSIC AND MOVEMENT

4:40 TODAY’S TOPIC

5 WIND DOWN FOR DINNER
 
 
I wanted to copy and paste the schedule I came up with. Feel free to steal this. I made it in Word and printed out a copy for the fridge. This probably won't be what every day looks like. This is what I want to strive for most days. With a newborn it won't be structured in the least, but hey a girl can dream.

I'm ready for this though. This girl is growing up. She needs more in her day, and I have the past experience to give her days like this. I am definitely excited to do this for her and have N grow into this schedule as well. Now we just wait and see if her terror streaks tone down just a smidge.

Last night as I wrote this out on my phone I jotted down some ideas to get us started. Below are some activities to get us started.

Art

Toilet roll stamps
Bubble wrap painting
Spaghetti painting
Water colors
Ball painting
Paint with utensils
Make a rainbow
Paper plate animals
Color
Draw with pens
Dry erase board
Cut with scissors
Make a collage
Draw with chalk
Fly swatter painting
Colored ice cubes
Paint with spices
Today's topics

Count

Quantify
Trace
Count objects
Matching game

ABCs

Trace
Sing
Identify
Sounds
Words with

Colors

Match colors
Name colors
Mix colors
Color collage
Color mix with ice

Shapes

Sort shapes
Match shapes
Name shapes

Opposites

Words

Word books
Point and name
Repeat

Animal

Sounds
Matching mom and baby
Sorting
Names
What does it eat?
What does it do?

Special activities

Wash cars
Tape down race track
Pet shop
Make food in kitchen
Restaurant
Play with boxes
Goop
Play dough
Paper plate paddle with balloon
Balloons
Paper ball fight
Obstacle course
Sensory bin ( rice noodles toys etc)
Whip cream play
Bang on pots
Use magnets on baking sheets
Pour sand on baking sheets
Sand maze
Play with paper, foil, packaging, etc
Shredded paper
Vinegar and baking soda
Kitchen bowels in bath
Bath glow sticks
Plastic cup phones
Nature basket

No comments:

Post a Comment