Friday, November 11, 2011

Goodnight Stars, Goodnight Air, Goodnight Noises Everywhere

We're pretty anti routine with M. She leads the day. She eats when she wants to eat and sleeps when she wants to sleep. Our only "routine" is bed time. At nine I run her bath while A gets her ready. I set out three books by the glider and turn on her lamp. She gets her bath and some play time in the water. Then it's pajamas, swaddle, books, and bed. I either put Aveeno Calming Lotion or Baby Vick's on after her bath.

Not only is it the calm down part of her day, but mine too. It's how we both unwind and get ready for bed. Just me and her. We've been doing this for about a month now, and you really can tell she is used to this. If one night we are out somewhere and it's getting time for bed she has this look like 'I'm tired, but we haven't had a bath.' I might be putting those words in her mouth. The few nights that she was fallen asleep before nine and woken up an hour or so later we have to go back and do the routine. Otherwise she is lost. My goal is for her to be two years old and picking out the books, because she knows what happens at that time.

I try to switch it up with the books we read. Each book I read her the title, author, and illustrator. I guess this comes from my preschool class and them needing to know the difference and able to identify. To me it's never to early to start I guess. Even though I like for her to have options we still end up with several of the same books. I thought I'd share some of our nightime staples.



It's Time To Sleep My Love by Nancy Tillman


I love this peaceful dreamy book. All of her books have the most beautiful illustrations. I have been sold on anything that she writes. Each book is so full of love. I always think about the memories I'm making when I read this to M.

 "I'm getting very sleepy now so moos the tired milking cow, So croaks the almost-sleeping frog amidst the settling of the fog, So go to sleep my love"


Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
  
Every night this is our third book. I swear when she hears those three last lines her eyes are out. Something about this book makes you read it in a whisper. I love that. It relaxes me.

"Goodnight room, Goodnight moon, Goodnight cow jumping over the moon"




On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
You will cry. At least the first time. I can't help but look at M in such wonder while reading this. The day she was born is just so clear. Like each second is frozen in time and I can so easily go back there. Maybe that's why I love this book. It always sends me back to that day.

 "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder, that the stars peeked in to see you
   and the night wind whispered, "Life will never be the same"

The I Love You Book by Todd Parr
I LOVE TODD PARR! His books are so incredibly awesome. I have four so far and want them all. He conveys the exact message that I want M to hear. Love, acceptance, tolerance, and humor. I love this one for nighttime, because it's like it's from me to her. 

"I love you when I am away, I love you when we are cuddled up close, I love you when you sleep, I love you when you don't sleep."



Oh, the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess
This is classic Dr. Suess. I remember reading this book along with Goodnight Moon when I was little. I love having that to share with her. Another wonderful thing about this book is the message. Sometimes in life there are ups and sometimes in life there are downs.

"You have brains in your head, You have feet in your shoes, You can steer yourself Any direction you choose."

No comments:

Post a Comment