Monday, August 22, 2011

Too Much Milk

You don't hear much about women who have too much milk. Most women wouldn't even see how it could be a problem. My heart goes out to women dealing with low supply. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be. On the flip side over supply sucks too. To date the largest amount I've pumped in one session is 18oz. W.T.F. I've had clogged ducts, milk blisters, major leakage, and daily engorgement. My freezer is packed. I only use pumped milk at night and it goes out of date before I can get to it. So most of the time I end up dumping perfectly good milk down the drain. Which I hate when I'd rather be donating. All of this while having her on the breast.

What sucks the most is how it affects M. My letdown is too much for her. She gags and spits up and later vomits. After doing some research I've found that this is common with women who have over supply. She also clamps down on my nipple which I've read is her way of slowing down that flow. Needless to say, it hurts.

To help with these issues we are going to work on the football hold. This is suppose to slow down the flow of the milk making it easier for baby to handle. We've been nursing lying down this past week just to switch it up. Lying down also makes the flow easier to take. So we will continue with that at home.



These things won't help my supply, but hopefully they help M. Breastfeeding isn't always a walk in the park. Whether you have too little or too much there are challenges. Try not to get discouraged. There are answers if you look for them. Nursing M is the most amazing thing. It's a gift I love to give her. Even if it sucks sometimes for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment